Thursday, April 16, 2009

What causes teeth grinding during sleep?

Could it be genetic? I know my father who is passed use to grind his teeth really bad and know I am doing it. I didnt realize how bad it was with me until a friend told me how loud it got while I was sleeping....





Besides gaurds are there and things (relaxation techniques) one can do before bed that could slowly correct the problem?

What causes teeth grinding during sleep?
Tooth grinding (also known as bruxism) is pretty common actually. It is in the same class of sleep problems (parasomnias) as sleepwalking and sleep talking. If it is really bad ask your dentist about solutions. There are some medications available if your grinding is really bad. Relaxation techniques might help if they bring down your overall stress level but probably not much. However- do be sure to get plenty of sleep (at least 8 hours) because sleep deprivation and alcohol (and stress) can make it occur more frequently.
Reply:Well I%26#039;m not sure about this being genetic, but I do know that you are causing a ton of damage to your teeth. You should visit a dentist who specializes in TMJ. They%26#039;ll have you fitted for a special appliance that you%26#039;ll need to wear at night to protect your teeth from the grinding. They%26#039;ll also go over a few exercises that will relieve some of the tension that clenching your jaw can cause. I suggest that you do this as soon as possible. Good Luck!




hair talk

No comments:

Post a Comment